Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Fedora Core 1 to see how it is (I've always been a fan of Red Hat). My problem is that before installing the NVidia Driver xawtv loaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xawtv & kopete Problems

I just installed Fedora Core 1 to see how it is (I've always been a fan of Red Hat).
    My problem is that before installing the NVidia Driver xawtv loaded but i only got a green screen coming from my webcam (Creative Weblaster 5)
    After installing the driver when i try to run xawtv i get the following error:
    This is xawtv-3.88, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
    Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
    Segmentation fault

How can i fix this?

The other problem i have is about kopete. I downloaded and installed the rpm but when i start kopete i can't see any plugins in it in order to set up a protocol account (msn, aol.....). I visited the website and found some instructions but i can't seen to make them work.

nstallation tips
    If you don't see any "plugins" listed in the "plugins" page of the configuration dialog after installing Kopete you may have installed it in a directory where KDE doesn't look for additional resources like plugins.
    KDE applications by default look in all directories listed in the /etc/kderc file, the $KDEDIRS environment variable, in $KDEDIR if this variable doesn't exist, and ultimately in the directory where kdelibs is installed. Unless you take special precautions applications will _NOT_ look in other directories, even if you install additional software (like Kopete) there.
    The best solution is to add the following to /etc/kderc (create the file if it doesn't exist yet):

[Directories]
    prefixes=/the/prefix/I/used/for/kopete

What do i need to write in "prefixes=/the/prefix/i/used/for/kopete"???

Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    Yeah, nVidia's driver breaks xawtv. I don't know why, but it most certainly does. The fix is to upgrade to the latest version of xawtv, which doesn't use the video device directly anymore, but goes through the X server instead. That also means that you have to load the v4l module in your XF86Config to get it to work, though, but that module comes with X, so that's merely a matter of adding a line to the XF86Config file.