Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone give me some pointers on how Mplayer works with DVDs? I've been able to get some DVDs working smoothly while others have problems both video and audio. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Mplayer DVD

Can anyone give me some pointers on how Mplayer works with DVDs? I've been able to get some DVDs working smoothly while others have problems both video and audio. I would like to also have some sort of graphical navigation tool.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    what sort of grapical / audio problems do you get? as for the graphical navigation - it does exist and can be compiled in with: --enable-dvdnav (i think) but is currently unmaintained an may not work properly with most films. I think it is a very hard thing to implement due to the complete lack of standards used by movie makers when it comes to the menu system and also the proprietry nature of the software used in hardware dvd players. :/

Linux Engineer
    What kind of graphical and audio problems .. well, I'll just list the following:

1. Any DBZ Movie DVDs. They play fine but they stop for a brief 2/10th of a second every 5 seconds. The sounds isn't effected but it's really annoying to see the movie stop for that brief time.

2. "Any Given Thursday: John Mayer".. the actual live show track, which is 2, has this loud hissing sound. Seems like all other tracks (bonus) works just fine.

I've some other DVDs that play the actual video but no audio. I did manage to build with --enable-dvdnav but I believe that is beta code and probably doesn't work well.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    As for the video delay on the DBZ movies, that sounds precisely as if it stalls on trying to read from the DVD. Ie., the DVD can't feed it with data fast enough. It can be different for different movies, since they have differently effective compression.
    Check so that you have DMA enabled on the DVD drive - many chipset drivers disable DMA for some CDROM and DVD drives. That was the problem when it happened to me.

Linux Engineer
    you could also try increasing the read ahead settings for the drive