Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions about mplayer, especially the DVD reading. 1) Everytime I load a DVD, I get this message Code: Failed to open /home/.../.mplayer/default.sub What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Couple of questions regarding Mplayer

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions about mplayer, especially the DVD reading.

1) Everytime I load a DVD, I get this message
    Code:
    Failed to open /home/.../.mplayer/default.sub
    What is this talking about?

2) I was never able to load the menu of a DVD. It either loads directly into the movie, or it plays those 10 secs of the distribuitor, after which the mplayer just closes... the only way I can see the movies is opening the first title... this causes that I have to change the subtitles and audio set-ups everytime, which starts the movie again (annoying).

Any help?

Thanks

Well, about the first problem:

Go to Preferences > Subtitles & OSD and check the "Disable subtitle autoloading" option in mplayer

About the second, well, don't know much about it, but, run the mplayer from console, when it closes you will get the error in the console that is having the mplayer

Reegards

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dpontes11
    1) Everytime I load a DVD, I get this message
    Code:
    Failed to open /home/.../.mplayer/default.sub
    What is this talking about?
    You could define the default subtitles to use by adding a line like this to your ~/.mplayer/config file:
    Code:
    font=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/impact.ttf
    Verify the exact path on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpontes11
    2) I was never able to load the menu of a DVD. It either loads directly into the movie, or it plays those 10 secs of the distribuitor, after which the mplayer just closes... the only way I can see the movies is opening the first title... this causes that I have to change the subtitles and audio set-ups everytime, which starts the movie again (annoying).
    Personaly I use an app called "lsdvd" to know which track to play with "mplayer".

"lsdvd" will tell you the lenght of each track, so you can play directly the longest one:
    Code:
    mplayer dvd://5
    if the 5th is the longest.

Don't forget to add something like:
    Code:
    dvd-device=/dev/dvd
    to the mplayer config file.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, thanks for the help... thing is, that's not really what I wanted to know. As I've used in other multimedia players, the DVD menu appears right after the distributor's logo.

I wanted the access to the menu just to be able to configure the movie once, and access parts only accessed through the menu...

There is no error message at the end of the distributors, it just stops and says Exiting (end of file)...

It seems to me that mplayer just reads the first title to the end, exiting when it ends. Is it not possible for mplayer to do the connection between the titles, i mean, to access directly the DVD menu after the end of the first title, as the dvd is programed?

also, how do I use that lsdvd app?