Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, umm... recently I compiled the latest stable k3b source release on my mandrake box. Everything went smooth during compilation. However, after installing I ran the program and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

k3b problems... [ide-scsi emulation +]

Hi there,

umm... recently I compiled the latest stable k3b source release on my mandrake box. Everything went smooth during compilation. However, after installing I ran the program and the system check utility warned be about a few problems that needed fixing. First was the ide-scsi emulation thing that says that cdrdao didn't support ATAPI. So it suggested enabling the ide-scsi module on all block devices. Here is where I need help. I did a modprobe for the ide-scsi module ana apparently it was found. Hoever I don't think it works. is there a way to enable it from boot-up? I use GRUB as boot loader.

Also, I try to play mp3's and it tells me that the arts daemon isn't running. But I use Gnome. Are there any conflicts between artsd and Gnome in trying to access my sound card? If not, how do I make artsd run automatically when I go into Gnome just as it does in KDE?

Another question is, why the heck does the k3b setup utility fail to start when I'm under Gnome while k3b doesn't? I even tried it on KDE and it still fails to apply changes (SUID) to cdrdao and cdrecord?

Help Please!!!

Linux Engineer
    to enable ide-scsi at boot with GRUB add 'hdx=ide-scsi' at the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf (w/o the quotes)... where 'x' is the letter of your CD-R drive...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Although SCSI emulation is in fact not needed (no matter what k3b tells you) to use cdrtools.

I'm not sue if k3b will let you burn with an atapi drive, but it's worth a try.

Also...running artsd should bork your gnome, but you can always just use xmms to play mp3s.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thanks for the help!!!

Thank u guys for sharing your knowledge!