Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've been trying to burn a .img file (6.5Gb) to a DVD+R DL disc using K3b. However, it just errors so i've taken the growisofs command and run it in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't burn dual-layer DVD+Rs

i've been trying to burn a .img file (6.5Gb) to a DVD+R DL disc using K3b. However, it just errors so i've taken the growisofs command and run it in a shell.

Code:
    /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dvd/gits.img -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -dvd-compat -speed=2.4 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m
    The above command gets the following output:

Code:
    Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dvd/gits.img of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
    :-? Failed to change write speed: 2770->3324
    :-? L0 Data Zone Capacity is set already
    /dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 2.5x1385KBps.
             0/7250100224 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0%
             0/7250100224 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0%
    :-( unable to WRITE@LBA=0h: Input/output error
    :-( write failed: Input/output error
    i've occasionally had this problem before but usually got around it by executing 'eject' before burning. This time, however, nothing's working.

The same drive has burned successfully to the same media before so it's not an incompatibility issue (i think) and all versions are recent.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

what do you get with this command:

Code:
    growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/hdc=/dvd/gits.img
    or -speed=4

because it looks like it might have something to do withe the speed you are setting. And I personally don't know the -use-the-force-luke variable but it shouldn't be necessary I don't believe.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

That appears to have done it - cheers! Not sure what those '-use-the-force-luke' parameters from K3b are doing but i guess there's something amiss there.

Ps. Left the speed at 2.4; the drive only ever seems to burn DVDs at this speed.

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    excellent glad I could help. Sometimes k3b uses parameters that aren't necessary because it is a program that tries to autodetect a lot of extra functionality. I also just use the cli for burning it's simpler and I then know what's going on.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

i managed to burn two DVD+Rs but there's a third one that just refuses to cooperate. Same errors and i've tried a couple of different discs just in case.

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

maybe try it without dvd-compat parameter?

This is just getting weirder. Once again it refused to burn so i moved the file to a temporary location (/data/dvdbackup), owned by root with 644 permissions.

It then burned first time (actually it b0rked at 98% but principally...).

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    I am running Xandros 4 Home Edition Premium.
    I wanted to burn a DVD ISO file to disc, but so far have failed to do it in Xandros.
    I have a DVD writer, an NEC AD-5170A-0B 18xDVDRW/RAM DL, which is recognised by Xandros as Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A.
    I tried using the built-in DVD writer from Xandros File Manager, but had problems.
    I tried 3 times, using 2 different brands of disc, and each time got an "unexpected error".
    So then I installed K3b from Xandros Networks, and tried it from that program, but this time just writing a smaller file to a data DVD. This also failed. The discs are rated at 4x, so I used that setting in the DVD writing software each time (except the first time), but that did not work.

Here is an extract from the error log:

Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
    INFO: ISO-8859-1 character encoding detected by locale settings.
    Assuming ISO-8859-1 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
    use -input-charset to override.
    /dev/hdg: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user request...
    /dev/hdg: reserving 135152 blocks
    , warning for short DAO recording
    /dev/hdg: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1385KBps.
    Confused the LUN appears to be stuck writing LBA=0h, retry in 5ms
    0.37% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 13:48:25 2006
    55.13% done, estimate finish Wed Dec 6 10:36:40 2006
    Sad unable to WRITE@LBA=12440h: Input/output error
    Sad write failed: Input/output error
    /dev/hdg: flushing cache
    Sad unable to FLUSH CACHE: Input/output error
    :-[ SYNCHRONOUS FLUSH CACHE failed with SK=2h/ASC=04h/ACQ=01h]: Resource temporarily unavailable

growisofs comand:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/growisofs -Z /dev/hdg -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -speed=4 -gui -graft-points -volid Bicycle Race -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.20 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher Avoura -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.20 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-avoura/k3beoxHna.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-avoura/k3bbRlnpb.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -allow-lowercase -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-avoura/k3bPzF7Ja.tmp

=====end of log

Does the error log suggest an error with the configuration of the software, or of Xandros? Or is there a problem with the DVD writer. It is quite new and this is the first time I tried to write to DVD. I have written to CD-R several times already using this drive without a single error.

As for the DVD ISO file, I copied it to my Windows XP PC which then burnt the ISO to DVD without any problems, so I know that the ISO file is not corrupted.

After reading this thread I see that I am not alone in having this problem, but still do not know what to do to resolve this.