Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all again, I am searching for an ftp client like smartftp (which is on windows). I tried using gftp, it is much faster than smartftp in windows (no suprise), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ftp client

Hello all again,

I am searching for an ftp client like smartftp (which is on windows).

I tried using gftp, it is much faster than smartftp in windows (no suprise), but it won't automatically detect the filetype for whether it should transfer in ASCI or binary. Thats the only real feature I need to find.

Suggestions?

~weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

:bump:

You guys must know. If there is one for Windows, there must be one for Linux.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb integrated

I'm not sure what kind of functionality your looking for, but I do know that gnome makes it very easy to integrate ftp right into the filesystem. I dont know of any programs out there that could help you, as I myself dont have much need beyond the functionality that is included. I am not sure if kde has a similar feature, but its relatively basic, so more than likely it should.

Just click Places->Connect to server in your main toolbar. Its very straightforward.

I am using kde now, and it actually seems that it handles ftp better, but it is still quite basic.

I jsut want some ftp application that detects whether to use binary mode or ASCII.

Have you tried FileZilla? It is still in Beta but looks promising. I just installed the newest nightly build.
    For a nightly build of FileZilla3 go to http://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php
    You'll need a nightly build of FileZilla3 since 2 is not for Linux unless you want to run it in WINE.