Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just as the topic suggest, i'm trying to do just that. I did some research on the subject, but still it doesn't seem to work. The follwoing information I found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring Proftpd 1.2.8 to allow for FXP

Just as the topic suggest, i'm trying to do just that. I did some research on the subject, but still it doesn't seem to work.

The follwoing information I found on the flashfxp website:

Reference URL: http://www.flashfxp.com/support.php?s=howto#proftpd

1. To support FXP when connecting as a user place "AllowForeignAddress on" in the Global or VirtualHost context.

2. To support FXP when connecting as anon "AllowForeignAddress on" must be placed in the Anonymous context.

Additional information
    1. The config will happily support "AllowForeignAddress on" in multiple places within the config..

2. You may need to add the following "PassivePorts 49152 65534"

I went and step further and allowed the ports that the server itself was using, only thing I can think that maybe the problem is that i'm using NAT, but i'm sure that someone has been able to get this to work via a NAT connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

voth

Linux Guru
    If the problem is that you're using NAT (I'm guessing that the FTP server is on an internal machine?), try loading the `ip_nat_ftp' and `ip_conntrack_ftp' modules on the router and see if that helps any.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately my router isn't configurable to that degree, the most I have is the GUI interface which I use to configure the router.

Any other suggestions?

voth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Ah, I see... I just assumed that you had a Linux router. =)

In any case, many FTP daemons (I don't know about proftpd explicitly, though) allow you to configure a specific range of ports that are made available for passive mode transfers. You have to specify to the router to forward a certain range of ports, and then specify that same range to the FTP daemon. I haven't used proftpd, though, so I can't tell you how to do that. You'll have to either wait for someone else to tell you or find out for yourself.

Just Joined!
    When I cam across that FlashFXP information, I added PassivePorts to the proftpd.conf file either in the Global section or the VirtualHost section, can't recall at the moment.

Here is the actual line

PassivePorts 49152 25001 26000 65534

voth