Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am just emergeing emacs 21.3. I have never used emacs much but have used nano for some time. what i want from emacs is highlighting for markup editing and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

emacs vs quanta/kde

I am just emergeing emacs 21.3. I have never used emacs much but have used nano for some time. what i want from emacs is highlighting for markup editing and maby the ability to upload files to ftp - does that exist in emacs? can anyone please point me to some good tutorials or sources of info on emacs? I am really wanting to compleatly remove kde from my system at the momment i still use quanta for markup and occasionaly konqueror for browsing. Its so annoying to have to download many many MB of useless and totaly unwanted aplications just to get either kmail, konqueror, quanta or kstars and they are all slow and buggy imho. Is there not a project to seperate the k-applications and maintain them as seperate programs - there should be as at least the few mentiond above have a lot of great features?

Linux Guru
    Oh, good choice! Really good choice! Just to let you know, emacs is the best program ever written. Of course, I'm saying that from a completely objective point of view.

Yes, emacs can upload files to FTP - In fact, it can edit files directly over FTP; just use the following syntax when opening the file:
    /username@host:filename
    It will ask you for your password the first time it connects. After that, the FTP access is almost completely transparent.

As for info on emacs, the best source is probably emacs itself. Almost all commands are very well documented. Type C-x k and then a key to get information on what that key does. Type C-x f and then a command name to get info on that command. Type C-h i m emacs RET to get the emacs manual. Type C-h t to get a tutorial on emacs usage.

If you want a mail reader in emacs, get the vm package. If you want a news reader in emacs, just type M-x gnus RET. If you want a web browser with CSS support in emacs, get the w3 package. If you want to get a bootable floppy with the official emacs operating system, type M-x make-boot-disk RET /dev/fd0 RET. (Yes, that last one was a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was available soon)

I'd suggest that you get the calc package for emacs for an excellent reverse polish notation calculator.

Linux Engineer
    (i can't resist)

...or if you just want a text editor, get vi.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    (i can't resist)

Vi is a good editor for new commers to linux (IHMO), I started with it when migrating to linux. Then I've moved more and more to emacs (but I lack a feature of gvim ("vi improved" improved with gui), xpm coloring (try open a xpm file in gvim ))
    IMO emacs is a bit hard, it's a few more commands to learn than in gvim to get started.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    (i can't resist)

In my mind, vi has the advantage that it starts fast and uses little RAM. Other than that, I really can't see any advantages with it over emacs. Would you mind clarifying that for me?

Linux Engineer
    as a joke i was drudging up the old vi v. emacs debate...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru

Linux Engineer
    great pic, dolda