Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux (as of today), I know some basic commands to get around the console, but not many. Is there some site I can go to learn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Jsn
    Just Joined!

I can't get WineX to work...

I am new to linux (as of today), I know some basic commands to get around the console, but not many. Is there some site I can go to learn them? So if a manual says copy such and such to this directory, I know how to do it.

anyway, I installed WineX, and when I open programs like notepad it gives me these errors:

err:dosfs:DRIVE_GetLabel Invalid or unreadable superblock on /dev/fd0 (A:).
    Invalid or unreadable superblock on /dev/fd0 (A:). Maybe not FAT?
    fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify -- 0x403a41a8 WM_COMMAND ffffff98 unhandled
    fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify -- 0x403a41a8 WM_COMMAND fffffff4 unhandled
    fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify -- 0x403a41a8 WM_COMMAND ffffff98 unhandled

How do i fix it? Thanks.

Jsn
    Just Joined!
    For the first part of the error I think I have to find where the floppy is... so how do i find the /dev/ location of the floppy? It must not be /dev/fd0 (even though that does exist). For the cdrom it is /dev/cdrom. The floppy is mounted at /mnt/floppy.

Linux Engineer
    you dont fix it, that /dev/fd0 error really just means there is no disk in the drive. the rest of it is as far as i can tell just debug messages, if the program still works then dotn worry abotu it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    As for shell commands, try this site:
    http://www.linuxcommand.org/

Jsn
    Just Joined!
    I still think somethings wrong with WineX, but yeah all the programs work fine. When I try to install Warcraft III, I get this:

fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB copy
    err:wave:wodUpdatePlayedTotal ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE) failed (Broken pipe)
    err:wave:wodUpdatePlayedTotal ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE) failed (Broken pipe)

and then it floods the command prompt with that untill it freezes and i have to restart. Also warcraft 3 says "Windows 95 detected, windows 95 is not supported" when it opens, so I can't install.
    Any suggestions of how I can fix this?

Thanks for the link Dolda I'm reading it right now, very informative.

Linux Guru
    I don't know much about Wine or WineX, but I think that problem about Windows 95 detected can be remedied by editing your wine config file (usually ~/.wine/config) and adding "Windows"="winxp" under the [Version] section.

you can also use --winver winxp IIRC at the commandline.

Jsn
    Just Joined!
    I've tried 98, 2k, and xp, and they all give me the error "windows 95 detected". I know other people have gotten warcraft III to work, there are articles about it.

Linux Guru
    I don't know, but it is highly possible that you must restart the wine-server after changing the config. Try "killall wine-server" and "killall wine" after changing the config file.