Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im new to linux and wanted to install knapster and a few other programs to my system. I followed the installation instructions in the uncompressed folder by typing ./configure at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling Knapster (And other programs)

Im new to linux and wanted to install knapster and a few other programs to my system. I followed the installation instructions in the uncompressed folder by typing ./configure at the terminal prompt. It went through its check and OK'd everything untill it gave me an error saying that there was no acceptable c compiler found in $path. I am running redhat 8.0 and have pasted the exact screen below:

[root@localhost knapster2-0.5]# ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking for -p flag to install... yes
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
    checking for style of include used by make... GNU
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    [root@localhost knapster2-0.5]#

How can I correct this problem so I can install this program and others. I get a screeen similar to this when trying to install other programs such as Mplayer.

Linux Engineer
    Install gcc

Linux Engineer
    BTW, is your nick supposed to represent a honda?

Just Joined!
    Ok, I have gcc and will try installing it.

Second.... My screen name actually has to do with Turbo Fords (and hondas). I used to hang out with a turbo honda group and none of them ran vtec motors. They all ran b18b1 LS motors. And on the side of their cars instead of 16V DOHC VTEC, it said 16V DOHC NOTEC. So since my turbo 2.3 is only a single cam 8valve head I adopted the name of 8V SOHC NoTec. I adopted that name because im running old school single cam technology (I call it ford model T Technology) and accomplishing and putting down numbers that that the twin cam guys wish they could. Although, soon I will be twin cam and can no longer sport the 8V SOHC name.

If I have any problems with GCC, ill come back and get some help.

Thanks!
    (Off to work now!!!)

Linux Engineer
    I have a 90 eagle talon tsi awd with a big 16g turbo and all supporting mods. My best ET is 12.71 @ 108mph(yes my care needs to be tuned severely). Its cool to find honda ppl who don't rice out their car. Which ford do you have? Only one I am aware of that ever had a stock turbo was an older mustang. Whenever I see 8v sohc I immediately thing of a honda civic

Just Joined!
    Im part of So Cal DSM!!! I do not yet own a dsm but have been a major mechanic and fabricator for them for the last year now. We have a guy who runs 12.9 on a small 16G. We also have a guy who runs 11s on a 20g. My next project is a 4G63 powered mail truck. We also have a guy with a 4G63 powered 89 mirage (older hatchback thing) and a guy with a 4G63 powered galant GSX (rare non-turbo version of galant vr4) Who also just put a FP30 on his car.

My car is a 89 Merkur XR4Ti. It was made in germany and was fords competiton for BMW back in the day. It has T04E 57trim turbo, cam, intake, exhaust, fuel upgrade ect,ect. Its soon getting a volvo 740 twin cam head since they bolt directly to our blocks. Other fords that came stock turbo was the turbo-coupe (thunderbird), mustang SVO, and there was an earlier mustang that came turbo as well. Some Probes were also stock turbo but had an entirely different platorm (mazda.)

Your ET isnt that bad, the trap is pretty good. Ive heard of 11s on a big 16g, but what your running right now is average. If you can get in mid to low 12s than your defanetly tuning right. Good luck with the talon!!!

Linux Engineer
    Haha I would of never expected to meet another dsmer on this board. I think what is holding me back now is I am still using the original head gasket and piston rings. I am sure my compression isn't what it should be. I plan on putting 2g pistons in this summer so I think low 12s will be in my sights. Also my tranny needs a huge workover. I can't chirp the tires anymore going into 2nd. I think my act 2600 did a job on my tranny(damn those nites where I had to show off with a 6K rpm launch). I can't wait to see a 4g63 mail truck. I wouldn't mind being a mailman then. I think my next project is buying a 95 gsx and getting my current engine swapped into it. I am tired of driving an ugly car.

Just Joined!
    Yeh, my friend bought a stock gsx last year and since then I have taken a liking to DSMs and kind of came into the group as a fabricator and thats pretty much how I fell into DSMs. I have a friend who may want to sell a 4g63 cheap, so I wanted to put a 4g63 in somthing you would never expect to see one in. As I was working on my car one day, I saw a little mail truck drive by and thought to myself its all over. It would be kind of interesting to see a mail truck on the street that blew off and had an external dump wastegate on it. I know what your talking about with the trannys- these guys are swapping them all the time. Have you had clutch peddal assembly problems with your 2600? The guys down here that have them bend the assemblies and have since gone with different clutches.

Anywayssssss..... I got GCC installed and that solved that. Im trying to install MPlayer and keep getting the message saying that libpng not found. I installed libpng and libpng-dev. Im not to worried about that though ill figure it out. Now somthing I was wondering you might also be able to help me with now is the FTP server in Redhat 8.0. I remeber before when I ran RH 7.1 There was a nice little program in the control panel to configure the FTP and useres. I dont have that in RH 8.0 and I would like to configure ftp to run. Is there a command I can run in shell?

Linux Engineer
    Install proftpd. It is probably the best ftp server available for linux right now. Lot of functionality and not that hard to configure. Probably works with the defualt configs so you won't need to touch anything unless you want to do some neat stuff like mysql auth and vhosts

Just Joined!
    just to upload files to my computer from remote locations untill I get fp server extensions installed to configure my website from other locations. Soon this computer will just be a dedicated server for a website hosted from my home dsl.