Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't seem to update Mozilla Firefox. I have version 1.0.8 and it came with Redhat FC4. Here is a description of what I did: I uninstalled firefox version 1.0.8. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FF-1.0.8 Failed To Update To FF-1.5.0.3

I can't seem to update Mozilla Firefox. I have version 1.0.8 and it came with Redhat FC4. Here is a description of what I did:

I uninstalled firefox version 1.0.8. Then I downloaded firefox 1.5.0.3 from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Then I used the terminal to unzip it and it created a folder called "firefox"

After that, I went back to the terminal and used yum to install firefox like so:

yum install firefox

Funny thing was, during the installation at the terminal I saw it installing 1.0.8 instead of 1.5.0.3. I thought that was very odd. I DID uninstall the original firefox that came with Redhat FC4, I'm very sure of it. I just don't know why it installed 1.0.8 again instead of the new version.

After the installation was completed. I opened up the new firefox browser and went to the "Help" tab and clicked on "About Mozilla Firefox" to check my version and it still say that I have version 1.0.8.

What can I do to fix this so that I can upgrade to the latest version of firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by J0hn
    I can't seem to update Mozilla Firefox. I have version 1.0.8 and it came with Redhat FC4. Here is a description of what I did:

I uninstalled firefox version 1.0.8. Then I downloaded firefox 1.5.0.3 from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Then I used the terminal to unzip it and it created a folder called "firefox"

After that, I went back to the terminal and used yum to install firefox like so:

yum install firefox

Funny thing was, during the installation at the terminal I saw it installing 1.0.8 instead of 1.5.0.3. I thought that was very odd. I DID uninstall the original firefox that came with Redhat FC4, I'm very sure of it. I just don't know why it installed 1.0.8 again instead of the new version.

After the installation was completed. I opened up the new firefox browser and went to the "Help" tab and clicked on "About Mozilla Firefox" to check my version and it still say that I have version 1.0.8.

What can I do to fix this so that I can upgrade to the latest version of firefox?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/331527-post2.html

FC4 doesn't support auto updates of Fx (for outdated security reasons, I believe) and will not allow you to compile the new version of Fx, afaik. . .

Just Joined!
    DAM!

I can't get the extensions and security anymore. Why did they do that for? I'm going to look more into it. It can't be possible; that's stupid afaik.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close