Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, today I ran MEPIS from CD, just exploring. Not that OpenOffice will be my wp of choice (no CLI! I want something like my old XyWrite!), but I seem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couldn't get ruler (Open Office looking at rtf file)

Hi, today I ran MEPIS from CD, just exploring. Not that OpenOffice will be my wp of choice (no CLI! I want something like my old XyWrite!), but I seem to have a problem with it:

I had created a rtf file (using Windows Wordpad), and was able to open it with Open Office in Linux. But the margins were too big, and to alter them the Help file said I needed a ruler. I was not able to get a ruler on the screen. Also, just experimenting, I typed in a line of text and then wasn't able to save the file. It said not enough space, but that's hardly likely -- it was a tiny file, less than a page. Would I get a misleading error message if I didn't have write access to the (Windows) file? Or is this just a protection while I'm running from CD (preventing me from messing up the Windows system until I install Linux on hard drive)? Just curious.

Just Joined!
    If you are running a Live CD and can't write the file to the disk, try writing it to a USB stick. In my opinion this is the easiest to do.