Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using WordWeb for Windows by which I can look up definitions without being online. Is the a similar application that might run under ubuntu or should I just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Would Like Dictionary For Use Offline

I've been using WordWeb for Windows by which I can look up definitions without being online. Is the a similar application that might run under ubuntu or should I just try it with Wine?

I know it's a bit old-fashioned these days, but you could try one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...150046-2083868

or these:

or even cheaper:

You may think I'm being flippant, but I'm not really. It can help your concentration to take your eyes off the screen for a few minutes, and with these, you dont even need to be sat at the computer.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hell no! That would be way slow! I want to double click to select a word, hit Ctrl Alt + W and be presented with the definition. Ruffling back and forth through a stupid paper dictionary isn't for me...

If you use Gnome, there is gnome-utils, it comes with a dictionary. I don't know much about it.
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeUtils

Linux User

Just Joined!
    I was hoping to use Ubuntu and I think the OpenOffice dictionary is just a list of words - I'd like the definitions!

here is command line dictionary tool it's called edictionary

I've seen a whole bunch of this language to this language dictionary but not too many straight up english dictionaries.

EDIT: Ok sorry I just installed this and it actually looks up words in the merriam webster online dictionary so you need an internet connection. Sorry about that.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

A similar question came up in the forum at Ubuntu. I haven't tried StarDict, but the description in this blog looks on point. In general, however, I agree with Roxoff ... cheers, drl

Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by username132
    I was hoping to use Ubuntu and I think the OpenOffice dictionary is just a list of words - I'd like the definitions!
    I thought Ubuntu used Gnome as the default WE, did you not like the dictionary program?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, SweetLou.

I looked at the Dictionary accessory on CentOS with Gnome; I had not noticed that before. It seems to work well. However, it appears to want to contact a server dict.org on port 2628, although I don't know if that's the same item to which you were referring. I think username132 wanted the dictionary to be local, presumably because he's not always connected ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast