Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiii, All We are developing a data acquisition systen, in which we are using ARM processor AT91RM9200, now from these processor, we want to communicate to the devices through Ehternet, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ping is not working with the other hosts in

Hiii, All

We are developing a data acquisition systen, in which we are using ARM processor AT91RM9200, now from these processor, we want to communicate to the devices through Ehternet, USB etc. and for that we have download the patch if ARM Linux provided in the help, and it has been ported successfully, now we want to communicate this board (on which we have mount the processor) to other pcs in the network, and for that i have set the IP address with the command "ifconfig", and board has configuration settings of our network, but after doing so, we are not able to ping to any of the hosts of the company, instead it gives the error "no such host found", can you please tell me what could be the problem? and please give me solution.

Thanks in Advance,
    Nishant

Need more information

Does it show the address that you assigned after "inet addr:" when you type this command?
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    Does the output show one destination as "0.0.0.0" with flags "UG" when you type this command?
    Code:
    netstat -nr
    The IP address in the "Gateway" column is your gateway--can you ping it?

If eth0 looks correct but you do not have a gateway, you need to get one. You might try this:
    Code:
    route del default
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    Of course, you should substitute the IP address of your gateway.

What Linux distribution are you using?

Just Joined!

More Information on the post

Respected Sir,

Thanks for the reply forst of all, and as you wrote there about the commands, i am answering you all the questions in the sequence.

1. As you told me that is it showing the IP address for typing the command ifconfig eth0?

Ans. Now what happens in this is first when i set ip address earlier when i dload the O/S it accepts the IP, now after porting the O/S when i try to access that IP through the command "ifconfig eht0", it doesn't showing anything, i have to set the ipaddress again from the O/s from the command "ifconfig eth0 ipaddr", after that it shows the ipaddress, and as per what i know this shouldnt happen, and i dont know why this is happening?

2. Does the output show one destination as "0.0.0.0" with flags "UG" when you type command netstate -nr?

Ans. When i type this command it is not showing any values in the either of the values, not showing the IPaddress or not showing the destination address or not anything.

3. The IP address in the "Gateway" column is your gateway--can you ping it?
    If eth0 looks correct but you do not have a gateway, you need to get one. You might try this:

Ans. As i wrote earlier that it is not showing anything in the any of the values, and as i type the command "route del default", it says there is no procedure like this, and when i type the command "route add default gw gw address", it shows me that the network is not reachable.

Ip address is according to our gateway, so that is not a problem ,i think, another thing is as you ask about the Linux Destribution, it is "AT91RM9200-DK dedicated Linux distribution" which is our board dedicated Linux distribution, so i think it should work, but it is still not working, i dont know why? can you please help me to go ahead?

Hoping for the positive reply, please help me.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nishant Desai

I wish I was working on your project. I've never worked with embedded Linux, just desktop Linux. So this advice is just my best guess based on my desktop experience. I searched a little for AT91RM9200-DK Linux and found that it exists, but no useful information.

See if your system has a file '/etc/init.d/network' (or /etc/rc.d/init.d/network, which should be the same file, since init.d is a symbolic link to rd.d/init.d). You should not modify it. This is the file that reads the network scripts and starts the network. If it's not there, I don't know what to do.

Edit '/etc/sysconfig/network' to look something link this:
    Code:
    HOSTNAME=some_name
    NETWORKING=yes
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    GATEWAYDEV=eth0
    IPV6INIT=no
    Edit '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0' to look something like this:
    Code:
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.1.100
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
    If the command '/sbin/chkconfig' exists on your system, run 'chkconfig --list network' to verify that that you see '2:on' and '3:on'. If not, run 'chkconfig --add network'. I assume you will be running in states 2 or 3, not 5 (graphical).

If you don't have chkconfig, you may need to add symbolic links in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ or /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ by hand.

If you have the command '/sbin/service' on your system, run 'service network restart' to try to bring up the network. Hopefully you will be up at that point. If you don't have 'service', you can run the network command directly: '/etc/init.d/network restart'.

Good luck. I hope you get up and running. Let us know what happens.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Dear Mr. Ken,

Thanks for the help really and sorry for the delayed reply, actually problems were there at my pc and my table's Ethernet port, when i tried the same thing at another PC with another ethernet socket, everything works very well, there is nothing kind of problem there, i dont know why such things happened, anyways thanks for the help.