Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok well here is my problem.......oh yeah and by the way for all you who rember me thanks for all your help in the past when i first got linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with .bin files

ok well here is my problem.......oh yeah and by the way for all you who rember me thanks for all your help in the past when i first got linux up and running it was fun working with you guys on my problems......but anywho as ive grown more and more to linux i want to get better at it i did get my windows box to see my SMB server i set up on my laptop for fileshareing (which was no eazy task) but i guess ill get right to the point here i want to upgrade my kernel and i found the latest ver of it at www.kernel.org but it came as a .bin file and as i have never seen this before i do not know what to make of it. if i try to run it in a console it tells me i do not have permission to do this even as # so i dont know whats up with this if i try to run it in X by doubble clicking on it it comes up and looks to me like source code but as i do not have any experance in programing (other than basic, and VB) i do not know how to work with this file any help or links to pages with docs on how to get this to work would be more than helpfull

thanks again
    I00I0I

Try as I might, I can't find anything that is in *.bin format on kernel.org. On the front page, there are tarballs which are what you need to install a new kernel.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Which file did you download from kernel.org, the patch or the full source?
    In either case, both have an extension of *.bz2.
    This is a file compressed using bzip2 compression.
    To uncompress the file, in a terminal type:
    Code:
    bunzip2 [filename]

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    try to find out what kind of file it is by using the "file" command on it, and if it is a tar file, do a tar xvjf file (in case of tar.bz2, if its tar.gz replace the j with a z) and it should extract the kernel sources.

If not, just download the kernel sources again

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    im not sure how u got a .bin fil either, but u wont have permissiosn to run it if its not set to exectuable. type
    chmod a+x /path/to/filename.bin
    then try again

Just Joined!
    ok i know the dl file is a .bz2 but any one ever think i might know how to untar a file inside the .bz2 is a .bin file

I00I0I

Linux Guru
    Hmmm... I'm not really sure how to parse that. Would you please restate that sentence?

In any case, to untar a .tar.bz2, run `tar -xvjf' on it.

Just Joined!
    at the kernel.org site there are .bz2 files i know how to open these files inside the bz2 file is a patch-2.6.2.bin i do not know what to do with this file thats what i ment in my last reply i know how to untar files its this .bin file i dont know what to do with

thanks again
    I00I0I

Linux Engineer
    make it executable with:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /path/to/file.bin
    then cd /path/to/

then ./file.bin

replacing all my dirs/filenames with the real values... should work.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr