Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I have been working on getting a copy of the newest release of SuSE 10.1 this week. Complications have forced me to download multiple times. Most of them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

a question concerning wget

Hey everyone,

I have been working on getting a copy of the newest release of SuSE 10.1 this week. Complications have forced me to download multiple times. Most of them were hardware problems, but one or two had to do directly with the download applications. One in particular confused me a little. I wanted to know what some more experienced users new or thought about it. When I downloaded the 6 CDs (5 for OSS, 1 for closed sourced apps), the site told me to use wget, on account of the -c feature to continue a download. It worked fine for anything under a gig, but when I tried unsuccessfully to download the DVD version after my hard disk crashed, it would allocate the file on the server with a negative size and then begin downloading it in the positive side. It would also always stay at 0% downloaded, probably because of the +/- difference. I thought that it might have to do with using a certain type of variable that can be negative and then had a bad formula used to find the file size. I wondered what you guys would think. Anyone know why wget does this? I don't really need to know. It's more of a thing to just understand it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMills
    It worked fine for anything under a gig
    Did you try the "--ignore-length" option?
    Code:
    wget --ignore-length some_address/some_file.iso
    It may not be the right option for you, but i'm sure you can find the solution to this in wget's manual :
    Code:
    man wget
    By the way, why not just use torrents?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Banned
    No I didn't think at the time to man page it. I thought it was maybe a bug. I don't use the program that often. Your sugguestion probably works. I've already downloaded 4 CD images at this point so it doesn't really matter. I'm just going to run a script to make them a DVD (saves space).

I cannot at the time use a torrent because I'm am currently at a point where my only current option is to use the only LiveCD I have that has driver support for my Linksys G card. I have two dead hard drives, still without any clue why their dead, and cannot install new apps while using a SuSE 9.3 LiveCD. I'm downloading the images onto my usb drive that only works in 1.1. I can't use it to boot because it isn't fast enough to run the things I want to run (it takes ten minutes to boot Kororaa with it). I'm about to get a new HD from Fry's, but for now I am downloading the images onto a usb disk.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close