Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get Samba installed on my Redhat 8 box. On all of the docs that I have found, it tells me to cd into the source directory (which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Installation

I'm trying to get Samba installed on my Redhat 8 box. On all of the docs that I have found, it tells me to cd into the source directory (which I can do with no problem) and run ./configure. When I do that, it gives me an error and I cannot proceed any further with the installation. This is what it returns when I try to run the configure file:

loading cache ./config.cache
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

I am still very new to Linux so I have no clue what this means. Any help would be appreciated as to what I need to do to get passed this. Thank you in advance.

Linux Engineer
    Install gcc. I wonder how many times I tell someone to do that per week

Just Joined!

Re: Samba

This may be a dumb question...but what on earth is gcc???

Remember:::I'm a NEWBIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by genlee

Linux Engineer
    gnu compiler collection. Basicly a package of compilers for c, c++, java, ect.

Linux Guru
    (Originally it was gnu c compiler, but once they started to incorporate all these other languages they changed the acronym to stand for gnu compiler collection.)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee

HAHAHA!!!! Im one of those!!!!

Download GCC (just search for it at google, thats where I found it.). What I did is I put in disc 1 of Red Hat 8.0 and found the GCC RPM and installed that first. I then installed the downloaded version of gcc and went without any problems. I dont know the exact filenames of the RPM i used, but it clearly says GCC in the filename in the RPM folder on the disc.

Linux Engineer
    You can also go to http://rpmfind.net and d/l it from there.

Linux User

Use the package

It is available through the package manager GUI thing.

Open up the package tool. SAMBA is listed under networking or something. Remember to click the tick box and view the details till you find it.

Once its installed you will need to configure it. Most of the documentation I have found lists wrong install paths so you'll have to be aware of that.

I bought a great book from Amazon called Teach Yourself SAMBA in 24 Hours. The first 4 hours are basic networking theory SMB CIFS etc. Then it gets good. Covers windows connection and has a chapter on replacing an NT Server completely. V Good book.