Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a relatively unexperienced user of Linux (actually, I only work with it for 4 days now), and I have questions on how to use the Samba to have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Samba

Hello,

I'm a relatively unexperienced user of Linux (actually, I only work with it for 4 days now), and I have questions on how to use the Samba to have access to my Windows disk drive so that I can work on files there (i have both OS in one disk). A bit of comprehensive explanation on how it is done, will help me very much !

Thank you on advance for any answers !

Linux Guru
    Samba is just used over the network, to access shares from other windows computers (or to share to other windows computers).
    To access a local Windows partition, you must first know what partition it is on (/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 or similar). Then, as root, run "mount -t <fs> <partition> <mountpoint>". <fs> should be the filesystem that the windows partition uses, ie. ntfs or vfat (depending on whether you use NTFS or FAT). <partition> is, of course, the partition, and <mountpoint> is where in the linux filesystem you want to "put" the windows files. For example, "mount -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt/windows" will mount a FAT partition that resides /dev/hda3 (the third partition on your first hard drive) so that they'll be accessible in /mnt/windows. Note, that you'll have to create the directory "/mnt/windows", first. Run "mkdir /mnt/windows" to do that.