Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im running slackware 10.2 xchat comes with it but you shouldnt run it as root (and I dont really want to).. I run my desktop as root, this is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xchat problem

Im running slackware 10.2

xchat comes with it but you shouldnt run it as root (and I dont really want to).. I run my desktop as root, this is not about to change.

but if I open a terminal and su to irc (a user I made for it)

and $xchat

I get:

Code:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

(xchat:8562): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    also, remind me again.. if you want something to be able to be ran from terminal for all users, where does it go?

/bin?

/sbin?

/usr/sbin?

/usr/bin?

I keep trying to make smbolic links to things so I can just type it in console and have whatever run but.. its being a complete pain..

That error occurs because the current X server running belongs to root, and the irc user doesn't have permission to use it because of that.

Quick question: Why are you running your desktop as root? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Also, /bin is for system binaries, so you don't typically want to put stuff there. /sbin is for superuser system binaries, so same thing. You should probably put stuff in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

You might want to also check out irssi, a command line IRC client. Why are you running desktop as root? You can use kuser to create a user to log into. From the command line:

Code:
    kuser
    Make a regular user and choose /bin/bash as preferred shell. Then, log out and sign in as the regular user you just created.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You should probably put stuff in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.
    /usr/sbin is for system binaries as well. I think /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin are the right places for installing binaries that should be accessed by all users.

I know /usr/sbin is for system binaries; I figured they would make the correlation between /usr/bin <-> /usr/sbin and /bin <-> /sbin. Personally, when I write a script or something I only want root to use, I'll put it in /usr/sbin.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794