Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone have any opinions on a good web proxy server for Linux? I am replacing my MS Domain server with a Linux box, I currently use redrock netnow which acts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Which Proxy Server?

Anyone have any opinions on a good web proxy server for Linux?

I am replacing my MS Domain server with a Linux box, I currently use redrock netnow which acts as a proxy server and email postbox. It picks up remote mail from our ISP and then holds it so that we can recieve and send email through it.

It would be nice to have the email functionality as well. Can sendmail do this?

All comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Kris

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure, but isn't there an apache module that lets it act as a proxy? If there is, it's probably a good solution.
    What kind of email functionality are you looking for? If you want to receive mail, sendmail can do that, yes. If you're looking for a post office server (eg. POP3, IMAP, etc.), sendmail can't do that.

Just Joined!
    Read through all the postings for the topic: Linux Mandrake 9.0 mail server to find suggestions for setting up mail services. As far as a linux proxy server, besides the apache module there is squid. See http://www.squid-cache.org/

Linux User

answers and questions

Hi guys and thanks

recap: what I need is a postoffice and proxy.
    I am going to install squid tonight at home and give it a go.

For email, I will need a local postoffice with send and recieve mail functions. Local clients connect to local server and that then sends and receives mail from my ISP.

I have found loads of stuff on mail. I think I can use SendMail and FetchMail to set up my post office. Any comments?

Also question: Is qmail simpler than sendmail?

I'd rather not mess about with Apache coz its running well at the moment as my development server. But if anyone knows a lot about the mod and says its good then I might give it a go.

Linux Engineer
    I haven't used qmail but I have setup a mail server farm with courier-mta(http://www.courier-mta.org) which is probably the best pop3/imap server I have ever used on linux. It has a lot of functionality and is a lot more scalable then others. For smtp, I used exim again because of its functionality and scalability.