Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to know how much my DSL is up and down. Is there an app that checks if connection is up or down. Every search I did comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommend an app that monitors connection status

I would like to know how much my DSL is up and down. Is there an app that checks if connection is up or down. Every search I did comes back with only Windowz shareware
    I am on FC5.

Thanks

vm

Do you mean something that logs your network connection permanently or an app that does it on the fly? If you want something that monitors dynamically you could look at network-manager (my favourite application this month, I've been plugging it loads). It would be quite easy to script something, maybe a cron job running every couple of minutes to check the connection?

Just Joined!
    I was looking for an app that I could launch to check if the connection to the net was up or not...I loaded NetworkManager with yum and it promptly took down my NIC. I rebooted and am able to talk internally, but can't get through the gateway...It nuked my resolv.conf...I tried uninstalling it, but since I can't resolve anything - that is not going well...Fortunately I put the resolv.conf back and was able to uninstall it...

I should have tested it first on a test box...

Are you using Gnome or KDE? You can add the Network Montior tool to the Gnome Panel, or use Kinternet in KDE to view connections.

Just curious - When you put back your /etc/resolv.conf wasn't network-manager working then?

Just Joined!
    I am on gnome. When I put the resolv.conf back - my only concern was getting the machine back in production, so the first thing I did was to remove it.. I have a test virtual box that I can play with NM when I get a chance...
    I am looking into coding it. I was just wondering if there was anything out there like windowz. I will try NM again on a test box when I get a chance...