Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I've just started using Ubuntu and Evolution for both work and home. So far, I've not been able to import contacts into Evolution. I've tried using .csv and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Importing Contacts/Mail fro Outlook/The Bat! Clients

Hello everyone,
    I've just started using Ubuntu and Evolution for both work and home. So far, I've not been able to import contacts into Evolution. I've tried using .csv and .tab files. However, these import methods give me missing entries and data in the wrong fields, e.g. contact spouse's name in appears in the business tel field. For The Bat!, I've not been successful either. In both e-mail clients, it has proven tough to export anything. Am I missing something?

Try mozilla Thunderbird

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bgagan911
    Try mozilla Thunderbird
    Thanks but the data is still getting mixed up, Thunderbird give the same results as Evolution. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by lennyjames
    Hello everyone,
    I've just started using Ubuntu and Evolution for both work and home. So far, I've not been able to import contacts into Evolution. I've tried using .csv and .tab files. However, these import methods give me missing entries and data in the wrong fields, e.g. contact spouse's name in appears in the business tel field. For The Bat!, I've not been successful either. In both e-mail clients, it has proven tough to export anything. Am I missing something?
    From where you exported the accounts..? may be you should TRY different formats...or may be some encoded data...reside.!!!

Just Joined!
    From where you exported the accounts..? may be you should TRY different formats...or may be some encoded data...reside.!!!
    I am currently running Windows and Ubuntu on seperate drive, therefore I don't have shared access between OSs. I select which one I want to boot from BIOS. Anyway, I've exported into different formats .txt., .csv, Vcard, and so forth - non-encrypted/compressed. But in every case, the data still does not export properly. Thanks for the help anyway.

Just try 1 last thing...it would hurt but..

Install ThunderBird on windows..import contacts into that from Outlook express or whatever you are using...then Export contacts from it...

Get Back to Ubuntu and import the contact (exported from thunderbird on windows)...I think it will work.

Just Joined!
    Just try 1 last thing...it would hurt but..

Install ThunderBird on windows..import contacts into that from Outlook express or whatever you are using...then Export contacts from it...

Get Back to Ubuntu and import the contact (exported from thunderbird on windows)...I think it will work.
    Yes, that's sounds like a good idea. I think it'll work. I'm going to give it a shot and will post back here. Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Definately a good idea mate! It worked flawlessly! Thanks for the idea.

You are most welcome..!
    Admin Close this Thread.!!