Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I've been using the standard command line ftp client for a while now. I updated all of my packages on gentoo and magically it stopped working. I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

address already in use -- standard ftp client

Hello all.

I've been using the standard command line ftp client for a while now. I updated all of my packages on gentoo and magically it stopped working. I can't figure out why.

based on the error message
    Code:
    ---> PORT 192,168,2,10,144,229
    500 Illegal PORT command
    ftp: bind: Address already in use
    i would've assumed i have a port conflict. i can't seem to find it using nmap. Other ftp clients work fine, but i'm so used to the default and its so quick and simple for my needs that i don't want to switch.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Do you have a ~/.netrc file? If so, look in it and see if there is a PORT command.

Just Joined!
    no i don't have a .netrc file setup

I've also found that this only occurs when i ftp to my web host, so far. They use pro-ftpd and SSL encryption. Everywhere else i tried seemed to work ok, but they were all anonymous logins and i don't think they used SSL (ftp.gimp.org, ftp.samba.org, ftp.freeradius.org)

I've tried contacting them, but they are saying everything is fine. And that seems to be the case because i can access it through ncftp and the windows ftp.

I've seen several notes to switch to passive mode because of this message. When i do that, everything seems to hang.