Find the answer to your Linux question:
There's a neat free app for windows - Atmosphere Lite http://www.relaxingsoftware.com/atmlitehome.htm It's great relaxing background music. A friend of mine uses it all the time. Nevertheless, it's not open source ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nature Sounds Generator (eh ?)

There's a neat free app for windows - Atmosphere Lite
    http://www.relaxingsoftware.com/atmlitehome.htm

It's great relaxing background music. A friend of mine uses it all the time. Nevertheless, it's not open source or available natively for gnu/linux.

Does anyone know of a similar app for gnu/linux ?

It plays mixtures of sounds like rain, forest and woodland noises, various birds and animals, thunder, meadows and a whole host of things that make for great noises to play whilst working. Sounds odd ? Well, try it !!

I've tried it on wine, under kubuntu dapper, but it doesn't install properly, so I've made an entry in the winehq apps db.

Any ideas at all ? Thanks for any help !

Wink The sonic environment

AT THE RISK of stating the obvious, all aural history is environmental in that it deals with sounds in physical settings, whether indoors or outdoors. One of sound's first historians was Lucien Febvre, who wrote about it in the 1940s as part of an avant garde French cultural history of the senses.Febvre belonged to the Annales school, whose members Mark Smith presents as pioneering social historians. Yet Febvre was also a proto-environmental historian who emphasized how the physical environment and climate shaped human life, events, and processes.Guy Thuillier, who belonged to a later generation of Annales historians, renewed this attention to sound in the 1970s, listing the sounds that a villager in central France typically would have heard in the mid-nineteenth century."You can almost hear, as you read his book," Corbin comments, "the ringing of the hammer on the anvil, the heavy thud of the wooden mallet wielded by the cartwright, the insistent presence of bells and the whinny of horses in an aural environment where the noise of the engine or the amplifier was unknown."Corbin himself turned to sounds in Village Bells: Sound and Meaning in the 19th-Century French Countryside.The multiple meanings of tolling bells resonated on the other side of the Atlantic a few years later in Mark Smith's work on the antebellum United States. Examining a range of sounds, Smith gives voice to the aural aspects of sectional conflict, reflecting on the plantation elite's construction of a quiet pastoral world intimate with nature that they juxtaposed against the irksome and "puerile" "hum" of crowded cities. These are the sound effects that according to me you won't get in any software.

Regards
    Britto