Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I've noticed that when I was attempting to extract the latest version of Wine (The one that looks like a Zip file), it says that I don't have permission ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Root directory permission?

Ok, I've noticed that when I was attempting to extract the latest version of Wine (The one that looks like a Zip file), it says that I don't have permission to extract it to the root folder. I know there is a folder called root, and it has a locked icon that prevents me from determining and viewing the folder. So I thought it would be nice if someone can help me with this. I really wanna play my Windows games seriously, and I can't live without them. Personally, it is impossible for me to let Konsole recognize the folder in my Home directory, but unfortunately, Konsole only accepts the commands that are in the bin folder of Root Directory. I know I find it struggling but I hope I get it right. Perhaps the Root Directory strongly requires a password to access the files somehow, and I have no idea on what I can get rid of the lock icon. That's the particular reason that Konsole doesn't like the Home Directory that much or vice versa. Any ideas? Anyone?

Linux Engineer
    /home/strong is the home directory that the root user created for you.. for security reasons the root users home directory is not stored in /home/root it is instead its own seperate section /root ONLY the ROOT user can accses the directory in anyway.. this is as it should be! in a terminla (konsole) type su then enter the root users password now you can cd to root

cd /root/

but i cant understand why you are extracting it to the /root folder??? this is totaly unnesasary!

Just Joined!
    Eventually, I have a binary file for Wine called wine-20040213-SuSELinux90.src.rpm, and when I went to Terminal or Konsole, I've typed '/home/miguel/Desktop/Documents/wine-20040213-SuSELinux90.src.rpm' and it says that it cannot execute the binary file. This is getting me puzzled. I've tried a few possibilities to make it work and still, no luck with Wine. And more of that, I've also have a .run file saying NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run and I've pasted in the Konsole, then I've pressed enter, and obviously, it took me to the driver installation, and it also says that it cannot install because apparently, it wants me to put it in the root folder which is a pain in the ass. The message says ERROR: It appears that you're using X server.

I'm getting confused with this process. It seems that Linux wants me to run it as root so it can continue. Once again, I've got the Wine binary file from www.winehq.com and I've extracted to Home Directory, then I went to the wine-20040213 folder, then click on tools, then I've copied the install-sh to the Konsole, and it says the input file is not specified. I hope anyone has any great ideas. I'm having a hard time figuring this one out, and I can't guarantee that Wine will run good over and top of Linux. Remember that I have SuSE Linux Personal 9.0.

Linux Engineer
    you say that the file you downloaded is a src.rpm this is a compressed file containing source code.