Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all I'm pretty new to linux and right now looking for a comparision list for filebrowsers for it... The only ones i know of is nautilius, konqueror and thunar, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

filebrowsers for linux

Hey all

I'm pretty new to linux and right now looking for a comparision list for filebrowsers for it... The only ones i know of is nautilius, konqueror and thunar, so feel free to tip me about more and whats so great about them

Wiki wiki
    (This line added to pad the message to the requisite 10 characters)
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a listing with some other file managers:

http://www.linux.org/apps/all/System/File_Managers.html
    oz

Nautilus
    Konqueror

"Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz

Just Joined!

Emacs directory editor

If you are already an emacs user, I recommend emacs dired. It takes longer to learn than some products, but it gives a good listing of any directory (including "hidden" files) both in X-windows and a console environment. It also works with all the other features of emacs.

If you are not an emacs user, you are missing one of the best features of Linux.

Linux Newbie
    FileRunner and Krusader are two other options, although Konqueror is what I use. Konqueror is a very flexible application that I also use as an FTP client, CD ripper, Web Browser, share browser, and more. It has a tabbed interface and you can create as many windows within a tab as you'd like. If you don't care about the non file browser features, they don't make the interface bloated and you won't even notice that the capability is there since it is based on kio slaves.

http://linuxappfinder.com/system/filemanagers

One thing you may want to consider is if you want a text-based browser or a graphical one. I personally prefer GUI ones, but I know that text-based ones like Midnight Commander are not uncommon.

I personally use one called Rox which I have always found to be perfect. It's not bloated in the least, allows you to easily control default actions when clicking different file types (as well as easily manage a list of other applications), a clever interface (resizes depending on how many files it needs to display) and other such things.

The #1 thing I recommend for you is to try every one mentioned here (and more!). Experimentation is the best way to find which one works for you.

oz
    forum.guy
    Another ROX user here... it's lightweight but powerful. I've been using it for a couple of years and love it:

http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/?
    oz

Linux User
    i too use rox