Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ive taken a liking to Banshee and I'd like to use it as my preferred audio player, however, I cannot play WMA files. I've installed the W32codecs and stuff and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Banshee can't play .WMA. Other players can?!

Ive taken a liking to Banshee and I'd like to use it as my preferred audio player, however, I cannot play WMA files. I've installed the W32codecs and stuff and Mplayer, Kaffeine and Amarok play the file fine, but I get an error saying I need a codec in Banshee.

Real Player also fails to play the file.

What engine are you using in Banshee? If it is the Helix engine, that would explain your problem. I'm not sure if there is a plugin for Helix to play wma. Try using a xine engine, as this will use the win32 codecs as xine does in the other players.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    What engine are you using in Banshee? If it is the Helix engine, that would explain your problem. I'm not sure if there is a plugin for Helix to play wma. Try using a xine engine, as this will use the win32 codecs as xine does in the other players.
    Mmmm, it does have a Helix logo whacked on it when it's booting up, I checked the options and it had Default Engine: Helix Remote, I changed that to GStreamer 0.10 and it's still a no go. Damn, it's not good to me if it can't play WMA's.

That's a pity, it has a nice GUI, Amarok seems to clutter up my playlist because not all my meta tags are correct. With over 10,000 songs cleaning up those tags might take a while

Thanks for your help.

I'll check it again later when I get home, I'm just working from memory and I'm not a big Banshee fan (Amarok actually )

Wma tagging was just added in version 1.4.0 of Amarok and I had some funny tagging options for a while. It seemed to split out every song into groups for who appeared on it, so albums by some artists were all over the place. That's not the trouble you are having is it? Also you can use the file browser to drag files in rather than using the library. Just a few thoughts.

I'll see if I can remember how I got wma support in Banshee. If nothing else Real have announced they are adding free and open source support to the Helix engine for wma soon - Check out this link

Patents...

You'll need an engine and codecs.

Search for libxine and w32codecs.
    "Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz