Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey. I just got done compiling WINE 0.9.20 from source, and I can't seem to get it to work. I'm on a 2.4.x kernel, and I don't know if that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine problem.

Hey. I just got done compiling WINE 0.9.20 from source, and I can't seem to get it to work. I'm on a 2.4.x kernel, and I don't know if that might be the problem or not. When I run 'winecfg' I get an error that says

Code:
    wine: creating configuration directory '/root/.wine'...
    wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x003ffd80 at address 0x60919103 (thread 000                                  9), starting debugger...
    wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x003ffd80 at address 0x6091e103 (thread 000                                  b), starting debugger...
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x6000c04b
    wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/root/.wine'.
    root@Fredo:/home/fredo# wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x003ffd80 at addres                                  s 0x6091e103 (thread 000d), starting debugger...
    err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x6000c04b
    wineserver: could not save registry branch to /root/.wine-26v37N/system.reg : No such file                                   or directory
    wineserver: could not save registry branch to /root/.wine-26v37N/user.reg : No such file o                                  r directory
    The same happens if I try to 'wine' an application. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!!

You are try to run "winecfg" as root.

Try it as a user.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    The same thing happens, even if I'm running as my normal user.

Just Joined!
    http://wiki.winehq.org/Slackware
    -- cut --
    NPTL issues
    Later version of Wine does not support glibc 2.3 without kernel+glibc NPTL support. Slackware has NPTL support in glibc, but not in the 2.4 (default) kernel. To run Wine you'll need to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.
    -- cut --

read&follow /boot/README.initrd
    go to http://www.linuxpackages.net/ and download wine 0.9.27 binary and install it.