Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I'm looking for a free or cheap document imaging program for Linux. Basically, my line of work generates a lot of paperwork and documents, and I'm looking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Document Imaging software

Hello all. I'm looking for a free or cheap document imaging program for Linux. Basically, my line of work generates a lot of paperwork and documents, and I'm looking for some way to store these papers digitally, like a picture. I've talked to others who said to scan the documents into GIMP, and save them as a .jpg file. This is not a good option. It would work for a document that is one page, but I have got documents that are 20+ pages in length. That would require scanning and saving 20+ pages. At that point, I would have 20+ files to worry about backing up to save the entire document. For those of you that have access to a 9x Winbloze machine, check out the program called Imaging (this is presently what I use now.) Unfortunately, this is one of those handful of programs that requires me to keep Winbloze around. I have found some commercial apps, but at $3000 USD, a little rich for my blood.

Linux Guru
    I don't have a scanner, so I have little experience with these things, but the "real" scanning software for Linux is called sane. I'm sure it has lots and lots of options to let you do virtually anything.

Linux Enthusiast
    probably the "best" option will be a shell script that will take a number of pages that you scan (using sane like dolda said) and turning all of them into a .eps file or a .pdf file. This shouldn't be all that hard to do if you know what you are doing. Maybe 5 hours of research/shell scripting _max_
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    the koffice can "print" text to pdf files.. hope that helps

Just Joined!
    I don't think that's really the solution the OP was looking for guys. I think the OP is looking for something along the lines of Vignette IDM, but perhaps on smaller scale. I've been searching for something similar out of curiosity as I work in document imaging and have found nothing even remotely like it for Linux. Linux just doesn't seem to be used as a high volume scanning platform.