Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, I'm looking for two apps right now... 1) a good PIM software that will allow me not only to keep track of tasks and to-dos, but allow me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PIM and CD Cataloguing software recommendation...

Ok, I'm looking for two apps right now...

1) a good PIM software that will allow me not only to keep track of tasks and to-dos, but allow me to keep notes & journals as well.

windows equivalent would be something like EssentialPIM app.

2) cd/dvd cataloguing software that will just allow me to index all my cds/dvds and have that list easily searchable.

windows equivalent would be something like WhereIsIt...

any ideas/suggestions?

(p.s. i'm running SuSE 10.1, if that matters at all)

Just Joined!
    nobody's got any suggestions?

Linux Newbie
    I haven't used WhereIsIt before, but a couple CD/DVD collections managers you can try out are Tellico and Katalog.

Griffith is a good DVD manager, but it only does movies.

Evolution, Kontact, and Treepad are some full featured PIM's, but you may be looking for something a little simpler since you didn't mention email.

If you just want to keep notes then BasKet and Tomboy are good options.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsolin
    I haven't used WhereIsIt before, but a couple CD/DVD collections managers you can try out are Tellico and Katalog.

Evolution, Kontact, and Treepad are some full featured PIM's, but you may be looking for something a little simpler since you didn't mention email.

If you just want to keep notes then BasKet and Tomboy are good options.
    awesome, thanks!

i'll look into those...

and yes, I have Tomboy already (by default I guess) and it's pretty good... however, if there is something that can hold notes and allow me to export them easily to OO documents or txt files or something, that would be great... and if it had PIM capabilities as well (scheduling and tasks), that would be perfect. no email features needed since Thunderbird is doing a pretty good job in that dep't.

Just Joined!

ok, after trying these out... I realized that Katalog is for KDE (and I'm using Gnome)... Griffith and Tellico are no good to me since I need to catalogue CDs and DVDs of mixed content, and they don't index the CDs at all (or at least Tellico doesn't).

any other suggestions?

I've tried gtktalog, but that one hasn't been updated since 2003 and I couldn't get it to work properly (by that I mean it couldn't recognize the CDs and DVDs I threw at it).

Linux Newbie
    Why can't you use Katalog? All the "for KDE" means is that it uses the Qt GUI toolkit. It should still run just find under Gnome.

Just Joined!
    Why can't you use Katalog? All the "for KDE" means is that it uses the Qt GUI toolkit. It should still run just find under Gnome.
    do I need anything else to run it?

because I installed it and can't find it under the applications... or is it run through something else?

Linux Newbie
    It might not come with a menu entry. Try pressing ALT+F2 and typing in katalog to see if that works.

Just Joined!
    It might not come with a menu entry. Try pressing ALT+F2 and typing in katalog to see if that works.
    nope.

but I did find the executables called katalogdcop and katalogservice in /opt/kde3/bin directory... however, running those 2 doesn't get anything happening/openning either...

Linux Newbie
    It looks like katalogservice is the right one. The deb package has a .desktop file that calls it. Both katalog and katalogservice should have man pages. I suggest checking those out for usage instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast