Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is probably somethign simple but it's driving me nuts. I am running Debian 3.1 and have installed the ImageMagick package via apt-get just to test a few things. No ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    NSH
    Just Joined!

ImageMagick

This is probably somethign simple but it's driving me nuts.

I am running Debian 3.1 and have installed the ImageMagick package via apt-get just to test a few things. No matter what I do I can't get a php script to find the convert app. It drops to exec to run convert and it can't seem to find it.

The path is /usr/bin and convert exists there. I have tried making a simlink to the /usr/bin directory from /var/www/...... directory where my website sits.
    I have full control over the box and I have tried changing owner of the app, etc.

I have scoured the net but can't find anything that seems to point me in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated.

The webserver user maybe doesn't have the $PATH configured. Try using the full path to convert: /usr/bin/convert, instead of just 'convert'.

NSH
    Just Joined!
    I am actually attempting to use an app. The app does in fact use the full path and it still can't seem to find the file

What is the exact error message you get? Also, what user/group does the script run under? What is the output of the command 'ls -l /usr/bin/convert'?

NSH
    Just Joined!
    # ls -l /usr/bin/convert
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4644 2006-01-28 15:39 /usr/bin/convert

The php app is calling convert and reports that it does not find it.
    I did a quick check with a

echo exec("/usr/bin/convert");

This outputs: " '-' for standard input or output " which is actually the last line of text if you run convert with no switches from a prompt. This tells me that the webserver can get to the convert binary. I am not sure why the other app can't.

Thanks for the help in this. If you have other suggestions I am all ears.