Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm been playing around with linux for a while but would still definatly consider myself a newbee. I'm running Mandriva Linux 2006. I wanted to install the newest version of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem installing glib

I'm been playing around with linux for a while but would still definatly consider myself a newbee. I'm running Mandriva Linux 2006. I wanted to install the newest version of GTK+ to have a go at writing some GUIs. But I've got a problem installing glib (which is required for GTK+). I've downloaded the newest version of glib 2.12.0 source and can install it the normal way (configure, make, make install). The installation completes successfully, but when I try to install Pango 1.14.0 (which is also required for GTK+ and has a dependency on glib 2.10 or above), it tells me my version of glib is too old and it needs glib 2.10 or above. I'm guessing the computer already had a version of glib on there (is there any where to check this?) which came with mandriva which is older than 2.10. How do I make it find the newly installed version (is there some enviromental variable I need to set?). Is there a way to remove the old version of glib from my computer?

I'm probably making this sound more complicated than it is as basically I could fix this problem if there is a standard way to upgrade a package already installed on my system which I build from source.

I've looked at the build instructions for glib and can not find any information on what to do if your upgrading from an older version.

Thanks in advance for any help any one can give me.

Neil

I suppose you are compiling from source

Check for the libraries, try removing or renaming the old ones from /usr/lib to make "configure" pick the newest versions.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

Still no luck

thanks for your reply

I've moved the old glib library which is 1.2 to another dir, but still no luck. Pango configure script just tells me

checking for CAIRO... checking for GLIB... configure: error:
    *** Glib 2.10.0 or better is required. The latest version of
    *** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

Any ideas or any more information which I might be able to give which would be helpful. Any help appreciated

Neil

Can you use a binary package for your distro?, it usually works a lot better
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Just Joined!
    Unfortunatly I am unable to find a binary installation package. But I've fixed it now anyway. My problem was I had GLib version 2.8 in /usr/lib and my newly installed version 2.12 in /usr/local/lib. Everytime I tried to configure Pango it would detect that I had version 2.8 so the configure script failed.

To fix this I just re-installed GLib 2.12 specifying the lib directory and header files directory to install to, so that the old version would be overwritten.

Thanks for your help
    Neil

As I said always try to remove old libs
    Linux User #425940