Find the answer to your Linux question:
I might be nit-picking by starting this thread but since I listen to music pretty much whenever I'm on the computer, the problem has become more and more annoying. Basically, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Minor but annoying Amarok behavior

I might be nit-picking by starting this thread but since I listen to music pretty much whenever I'm on the computer, the problem has become more and more annoying. Basically, what I like to do is keep just the Amarok equalizer on the desktop I'm using and keep the main menu/collection/context window on one of the other three virtual desktops so that way I can see what's playing, navigate through different tracks and adjust the volume without having to have the big window taking up precious desktop space. However, I've noticed that whenever I need to make a change to my playlist, which requires using the main window, and I switch back to my primary desktop, the main window comes with it and I have to move it back to where it came from. Is it because Amarok is a KDE app and I'm using Gnome? OK, after typing that out I realize how ridiculous it might sound and that there's probably not a fix for it but maybe someone out there can sympathize with me on this? Probably not.

Also, is Amarok a memory hog? I like all of the extra functionality, like watching for changes in the music folders and connecting to wikipedia for artist information but it seems to me like all of those frills could take up a lot of resources. I haven't really noticed any difference in performance between when it's running and when it's not but maybe I should try another media player. I've tried both Banshee and XMMS and prefer Amarok to them but maybe there's another one out there that I would like just as much. Thanks.

Clicking the tray icon will open amarok in the current workspace, this is regardless of DE/WM. Is this what you are talking about?

With regard to it being a hog, I don't think it uses any resources beyond what it needs to offer the functionality it does. There used to be problems with CPU usage when scanning but this has been largely reined in. Scanning is at a minimum beyond the initial collection build. I think they are even using kernel inode calls to see file changes now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Clicking the tray icon will open amarok in the current workspace, this is regardless of DE/WM. Is this what you are talking about?
    Unfortunately, no. Let's say I have both the main window and the equalizer open on the same workspace. I like to move the main window to another workspace to clear up more room on my desktop. This works fine. Now, I have only the equalizer on my desktop. But, if I need to make a change to the playlist, that requires going back to the main window (on whatever workspace I moved it to) and making that change. The problem is when I return back to my primary workspace the main window comes with it, giving me both windows open on my primary workspace. Like I said, it's more of a hassle than a problem and I didn't really expect there to be a fix for it but I thought I'd try anyways. And thanks for the info about performance. I'm glad it's at least on the minds of the developers. Thanks again.