Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey. I Recently installed SuSe Linux 10.1 - KDE 3.5 all is going well i have managed to install some software and programs in the RPM file format, but when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anything to make it easy ?!

Hey.

I Recently installed SuSe Linux 10.1 - KDE 3.5 all is going well i have managed to install some software and programs in the RPM file format, but when i get to the tar.gz and tar.bz files i seem to struggle, you have to go through all the code and everything else and it completely baffles me. It seems just to much hard work to install programs on linux isn't there a easier way, like a program that does all that for you and so it can just be a straight forward install like on windows ?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Pretty much everything you are going to want to install will be in the smart repositories, and believe me the repository method is a hell of a lot easier than the windows method.

Check out this link

Once you are done you have a nice set of reposiories and a hell of a lot of software at your fingertips. There's really no need to compile from source unless you have a good reason to.

Just Joined!
    Cheers for the help mate, first attempt to even do that failed but its late and im tired so i will try again tomorrow.

I Think my problem is that i dont have python installed i tried to do that but again it proved difficult i had to go into lots of .txt files and type in make install but then i get lost.

Thanks again for the help

Just Joined!
    it isnt hard to install from a tarball (.tar) just tar xvf file.tar(.gz) ./configure && make && make install