Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wonder if it is possible to boot my windows from my 2nd partitionon on the local hdd under ubuntu with vmware-workstation v5.5. I have a dual boot system with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is vmware booting from local hdd too?

I wonder if it is possible to boot my windows from my 2nd partitionon on the local hdd under ubuntu with vmware-workstation v5.5. I have a dual boot system with 1 Harddrive (100GB) using 80GBs for Ubuntu and 20 for winXP and I don't want to install XP again. I can configure Vmware to boot from my local disk, but it fails at the GRUB-loader - saying Error: (I don't remember) and exits. I know that this is possible, but I can't find any usefull informations when I google for it. Does anyone have Informations about that? If yes, I appriciate.

Linux Enthusiast
    The host must be running for the guest to load. If VMware is installed on your Ubuntu partition then Ubuntu must be loaded and running in order for the virtual machine guests to run.

Just Joined!
    Yes exactly, i am running Ubuntu Dapper Drake with Vmware and want to boot WinXP from my local hard disk in Vmware under Ubuntu... but how to do that?

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you using VMware Player or Server? If you are running the Server version, create a new Virtual Machine, allocate resources, and with the Windows disk inserted in the CD-ROM drive, turn the virtual machine on using the Virtual Server Console.

Just Joined!
    I am using Vmware-Workstation v5.5 and I already created a new profile which is configured to boot from my local harddisk... When the VirtualMachine is booting and comming to the GRUB loader (because of my dual-boot system) it fails with Exit Code: 53 (not sure about the error) - There is no need to reinstall XP because it is already installed. - The only question is: how do i prepare my Grub-loader in that way, that vmware-workstation is able to read it?????