Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to have the external links - which currently open a new browser window - open a new browser tab. I just prefer tabs. Don't know if it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

browser windows and tabs

Is it possible to have the external links - which currently open a new browser window - open a new browser tab. I just prefer tabs. Don't know if it can be done. I will have a search and reply to myself if I find anything.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    I believe you can set that up in most browsers. I use firefox and tend just to right-click open-in-new-tab meself.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    If you have a three button mouse and you use mozilla then middle clicking the link opens in a tab

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

all good answers

Both fair answers. Can't find the preference in mozilla 1.4.1 but maybe I'm just daft.

I just liked the idea of being able to open in tabs instead of new windows. keeps things neat.

did some searching - found lots of people asking the same question but no answers as to how it can be done.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

In firebird click tools->options->advanced and click open links in the background.

Linux Engineer
    kpzani it is the default setting. MIDDLE CLICK the links to open in a new tab.

Linux User

wheel

I got a wheel - no middle button.

But the point is not about how I can do it as a user. more about design principles. I liked the idea of having the new windows opening in tabs. It's not important. just something I fancied.

Linux Engineer
    The wheel is also the middle button.. press down on it!

Linux Newbie
    What do you mean be external links?

In epiphany just hit the middle button (wheel) and the link will open in a tab.

You can set mozilla to do this uder preferences and tabbed browsing.

As for links in an email in eveolution for example I know that this will open a new epiphany windoe, as for mozilla something tells me that it does't quite work the same - not at my box to try now.

By the way, even link which are set to open a new windoe will open in a tab if clicked with the middle button.
    \"One World, One Web, One Program.\" -- Advertisement for Internet Explorer.
    \"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer.\" -- Adolf Hitler.

Is this going to be moved to the correct section not sure what its doing in site comments??