Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know if it is possible to run my existing windows installation in linux via VMWare? the only information I have managed to find online involves installing a fresh ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Running an existing installation in VMWare?

Does anybody know if it is possible to run my existing windows installation in linux via VMWare? the only information I have managed to find online involves installing a fresh OS using VMWare and then running that, whereas I want to access the other OS on my dual-boot machine. Can it be done?
    Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Not that I've ever heard of, but VMware can use a physical hard disk instead of just a virtual one. You could try creating a new VM and setting up it's drive to match the partition you are currently installed to. I'd back up before trying though.

Another possibility is creating a clone of your partition and recreating it in a virtual disk. That would be safer.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'm morbidly short on disk space at the moment but when I get my external HD I'll back it up and give it a go.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i had seen an addon for vmware called "p2v assistant", which converts physical os's to virtual machines..:

http://www.vmware.com/products/p2v/