Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, all.... I am trying to compile dmx4linux, and keep getting the same errors. After make, the first first to get touched by gcc returns this: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -mlinux -static ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling dmx4linux - Any luck?

Greetings, all....

I am trying to compile dmx4linux, and keep getting the same errors. After make, the first first to get touched by gcc returns this:

gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -mlinux -static -L/opt/dmx4linux-2.5/libs -o dmxtest dmxtest.o -ldmx
    dmxtest.o(.text+0x66: In function `main':
    : undefined reference to `DMXgetarg'
    dmxtest.o(.text+0x68f): In function `main':
    : undefined reference to `DMXgetarg'

and repeats the same thing for many more lines, just with different hex values. I think that I have missed something somewhere, but do not know what. Anyone know what I need to do? Thanks.

BTW, I am trying this under Slackware 10.1 and 10.2, under both 2.6 and 2.4 kernels. Behavior does not change when I moved between systems, or change kernels on a particular system.

Does file /opt/dmx4linux-2.5/libs/libdmx.a exist on your system? I believe gcc is trying to link the object files, including those binaries pulled from libraries, to create the output, but it's not finding the DMXgetarg function. Judging from the command, it is expected to be in static library libdmx.a.

If it's not there, see if you can find it. If it is there, what other lib*.a files are in that directory? Maybe one of them has the missing function. Also, is there another libdmx.a somewhere else--especially /usr/X11R6/lib? If there are two of those library files, one may be old.

I'm not familiar with dmx4linux, but I spend quality time with gcc.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, that seems to have fixed it. I now get a clean compile and install under 2.4.33. Thanks again.

Dracus