Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed gentoo 1.4 from stage 1 and kde 3.2 on a compaq presario laptop. I have a trouble when I am logged in user, when I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

root and user

Hi, I have installed gentoo 1.4 from stage 1 and kde 3.2 on a compaq presario laptop. I have a trouble when I am logged in user, when I want to edit some file or do something and it needs root privileges I can't do it when I try to save the file.
    How can I fix this?
    Do I need to edit some file to fix the trouble between users and root?

what kind of files are you trying to edit cause if they are config files you should be in root to change them for security reasons all you have to do is in terminal su into your root account and then use nano to mess with the file. if it is some other file that isnt a config file that you want to have your user to have permissions to access and read and write. i say change the owner with the chown command you can do a man chown to figure out how to use it but all you have to do is type "chown username filename" without the quotes of course

edit: and i jst noticed this was your first post on linuxforums.org so welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay with us and hope you come back and stay awhile
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

root and user

hi, the fact is when I am in a console as user then I write "su"...then I write my password and there is no trouble, the trouble is when I want to edit a file with nano or with kwrite and I want save it then appear a message that I can't do that...

sorry by my english, my native language is spanish...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ok so you have opened a console and then su over to root and then open the file you want to in nano and it still wont let you save it. and as for kwrite i wouldnt recommend using that for changing config files i recommend using nano after you have used su to get to your root account in the terminal. if you have closed that terminal then you have exitted your root account and if you type su in the terminal it doesnt mean that you have root access thru out the whole computer like in the gui you only have the root access in that terminal that you typed su and entered your root account in. if this makes sense and dont worry about your english i can understand what you are saying and actually didnt even notice much wrong with it
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    Type "su -" instead of just "su"...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CopperTop
    Type "su -" instead of just "su"...
    I just want to clarify the difference between 'su -' and 'su'. The first one (with the hyphen "-") also initalizes the users enviroment (so that e.g. when doing a 'cd ~' after you've 'su -' will put you in /root, in stead of your(the user you are before you started su) home dir (where you'd end up in if you just 'su')).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.