Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was wondering if there is a client running under Linux which will allow me to connect to a Windows system running Remote Desktop. OR, if there is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux client to connect to Windows Remote Desktop

Hi,
    I was wondering if there is a client running under Linux which will allow me to connect to a Windows system running Remote Desktop.
    OR, if there is an alternative application to Remote Desktop which will allow me to use a client on a Linux machine. If it does not use the standard Windows terminal services that would be so much the better!
    Thank you,

--Brian M. Godfrey

Just Joined!

It's grdesktop.

sure there is!. It's called grdesktop. Install it using you ordinary package manager. If you like you can also compile it by hand. I noticed a dependency on rdesktop. (while installing it within a gentoo linux system) You can download the source code from a mirror on the dutch university in the city of Twente.

ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/distfiles/rdesktop-1.4.1.tar.gz
    ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/distfiles/grdesktop-0.23.tar.gz

I presume the installation by hand is simple.

Grdesktop depends on rdesktop I guess, thus it's saver to install rdesktop first. But do as you like and see what happens.

The general recept is something like :->

tar -zxvf file-name
    cd into the new directory
    run something like:
    sh ./configure
    make
    make install

In the end you should be stuck with a binairy called grdesktop. You can run it from a shell or make a nice little clickable item. That's all up to you.

if all I said isn't working, don't start complaining, just read the installation guide. These might be included in the for mentioned downloads but perhaps maybe not. I don't know and I don't care.

ciao.

Masikh.

Linux Enthusiast
    If you are using KDE, I believe the package or application name is Krdc. I have used this application in the past for RDP.

Just Joined!

Thanks!

Wow! Two good answers in less than an hour. Thanks!

I will take a look at the krdc option first as it would presumeably play well with my KDE gui. If there are problems, I'll try grdesktop.

--Brian

Linux Newbie
    Krdc is pretty easy to use. All you need to do is type rdp://ipaddress where ipaddress location of your other system. Also note that you need to make sure it is set to display as 16-bit color, otherwise I have found the colors to be messed up.

Both run rdesktop behind the scenes, so you can also just run
    Code:
    rdesktop windows_host_here
    from your KDE Konsole.

Just Joined!

Wink Not really true

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Both run rdesktop behind the scenes, so you can also just run
    Code:
    rdesktop windows_host_here
    from your KDE Konsole.
    Krdc is not only a GUI for rdesktop ....so infact krdc does not run rdesktop behind the scenes.
    To see that is enough if u do a ps ax in a console to see that krdc and rdesktop are 2 different apps.

Maybe something got lost in translation. Kdrc runs rdesktop behind the scenes. If my post implied anything beyond that, I didn't mean for it to.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if there is a client running under Linux which will allow me to connect to a Windows system running Remote Desktop.
    OR, if there is an alternative application to Remote Desktop which will allow me to use a client on a Linux machine. If it does not use the standard Windows terminal services that would be so much the better!
    Thank you,

--Brian M. Godfrey
    Sorry to ruin your day, but Microsoft has nothing that is a "Standard". It would allow people to choice the best application rather than only buying a MS product because you started there and got locked into a cage (what is worst is that novel that you wrote using Microsoft Word is also locked in a cage by Microsoft, so who owns the story?)! But yes there are tools to connect to a Microsoft Windows machine (running remote desktop) that you can used from Linux. For example:
    Code:
    jrdesktop  -- java softare       -- http://jrdesktop.sourceforge.net/
    rdesktop                                -- http://rdesktop.sourceforge.net/
    grdesktop -- needs rdesktop -- http://www.nongnu.org/grdesktop/
    tsclient      -- needs rdesktop -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/tsclient