Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically, what I want to do is this. I have my main 320GB HD with my two Operating system partitions (Windows XP Home and openSUSE 10.1) and then a secondary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition backup software?

Basically, what I want to do is this. I have my main 320GB HD with my two Operating system partitions (Windows XP Home and openSUSE 10.1) and then a secondary 120GB HD that's completely free.

What I want to do with that secondary one is make a a backup of my two partitions with the operating systems on it so if I botch up the systems or have to get a new HD I don't have to go through all the trouble of setting up both OS's again, and installing and configuring all the software and updates and call MS to activate XP, etc.

Can someone tell me what software and what is involved or maybe a tutorial they have found helpful? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin.

Partimage. it creates bootable image of harddisk/partitions.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Ghost for Linux is another notable alternative.

Just Joined!
    I actually use Acronis True Image for my imaging needs. Yes it's commercial, yes I paid for it. But it works better than anything else I've tried which includes commercial Ghost. Having to maintain not only my dual booted systems but windows and linux only systems it works great for me to backup my systems to a NAS and not have to worry about it. My NAS is accessible with a windows share so from samba I can reach and and from windows and from the Acronis Boot CD as well, which makes everthing a win win.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Number33
    I actually use Acronis True Image for my imaging needs. Yes it's commercial, yes I paid for it. But it works better than anything else I've tried which includes commercial Ghost. Having to maintain not only my dual booted systems but windows and linux only systems it works great for me to backup my systems to a NAS and not have to worry about it. My NAS is accessible with a windows share so from samba I can reach and and from windows and from the Acronis Boot CD as well, which makes everthing a win win.
    Which Acronis version do you use? I agree that it's a great program, but the only one listed for Linux that I can tell is True Image Server for Linux, which is expensive and not what a home user would want.