Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, sorry to have to meet this way. I realize the many topic found here, as well as all over the web on how X does not work, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yet another X problem...

Hello everyone, sorry to have to meet this way. I realize the many topic found here, as well as all over the web on how X does not work, and such things. I took a lot of time to look over all these, and try to figure out my issue, yet I had no luck.

My situation is that I have a new Gateway laptop, in which I want to have a dual boot with a linux distro. Untill now I have always used RedHat, but I was talked into using Mandrake, so I went with 9.2. After the install I went to login, and I got a simple shell, no GUI. I have run into this problem before, it was when I had an older box that could not handle the GUI, but this should not be the problem considering it is a p4 3.06 with 768 pc2700 ddr ram. I realize that the config file found in the X11 directory was set to an odd res. so I changed it to 1024x768. This took out that error, but now I am getting this one:

"unable to connect to Xserver"
    and "server error"

Any help on this situation would be great, and if you need any more information please do ask. Thank you in advance....

Linux Engineer
    That is not the full error. Normaly the error can be found further up in the output. Please post the full output of the startx command.

"unable to connect to Xserver" that is caused by the error its not the error itsself.. if you read the lines above that message you will see something that looks more like a real error.

Please also provide the entire /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

This problem should be easy to solve if you can give us that information.

Just Joined!

I have the same problem!

Hey man i have the same problem. I installed linux mandrake 9.1 for the first time and i got the command prompt screen, but when i try to enter the GUI the screen turns black. I tried the XF86Config command and i configured the file, but i still cannot get the GUI to start up. When i type in "startx" it seems like it is going to work, but the screen flickers and returns to the command prompt. I don't know what to do?

Linux Engineer
    please post your xfree86 config file here and also what hardware you have.. i will take a look at it