Find the answer to your Linux question:
Firefox 2.0 in SUSE is HOGing my CPU, it is using 100% of my Sempron 2800+ to load a page this is really weird. It's really bad on the totalbf2142.com ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firefox 2.0 in SUSE is HOGing my CPU

Firefox 2.0 in SUSE is HOGing my CPU, it is using 100% of my Sempron 2800+ to load a page this is really weird. It's really bad on the totalbf2142.com forums

Just Joined!

Cool Why don't you try older mozilla

Hello,
    Why just do not try to uninstall mozilla and install mozilla like 1.0.8-1. Or even older?
    See what will comes(finds out) from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/releases/
    If you mean 1.0.2 as saying 2.0, just upgrade it, as root, you probably know:
    yum update mozilla
    And good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Newman
    Firefox 2.0 in SUSE is HOGing my CPU, it is using 100% of my Sempron 2800+ to load a page this is really weird. It's really bad on the totalbf2142.com forums

I get the same problem but on gentoo. I think there must be some bug somewhere as it also happens on windows. I have no idea what's causing it. and cant seem to find any resolutions anywhere about it. let the hunt continue!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Newman

In my personal experience the problem isn't with Firefox per se but with the plugins. The Flash plugin especially is an evil memory hog with a leak that doesn't go away until you restart Firefox. When I am viewing sites that use flash or Java I use Opera instead. The flash plugin doesn't kill you that way.

When I avoid flash and java sites I typically have as many as 100 tabs open scattered between a dozen Firefox windows that stay open for a week or two at a time. Usually in that time I'll open a flash site and eventually need to restart Firefox. Happens often enough that I installed the extension to put a restart Firefox button in the tools menu. I also have about 30 extensions installed. So it's not Firefox itself but the way it talks to certain plug ins. I had this problem with 1.5 and still have it with 2.0.

I'm running FC6 but had the problem back when I was still running FC3.

I will have a play with various extensions and plugins. I dont have that many extensions or plugins. So wont take long to find the culprit if this is ineed the case!

It's weird, cos it's not like a leak of CPU cycles now for me, as soon as i open firefox it starts hammering the CPU at 99% constant!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327