Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running SUSE 8.1 with a NEC CDROM as primary and Plextor 12/10/32A as secondary. Using ide-scsi driver for both. Burned a few CD-R media using CDRoast with music of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with Playing Burn CD-R

Running SUSE 8.1 with a NEC CDROM as primary and Plextor 12/10/32A as secondary. Using ide-scsi driver for both. Burned a few CD-R media using CDRoast with music of a pressed CD. The burned media cannot be read (played back) on both the primary and secondary drives, but works like a champ on other CD players (ie. car and laptop computer). Both primary and secondary play the original pressed CD O.K. What's going on here? I burned in both DAO and TAO mode with no luck playing back on my computers CDROMs.

Linux Guru
    I'm guessing that your secondary CD isn't hooked up to the sound card, right? Then maybe that primary one is just unable to read burned CDA discs?

Just Joined!
    You're right? I have the sound card wired to the primary CDROM. One question I still have is I always see "ejected" indicated on the CD player after I load burn media. Wouldn't the secondary player (since it burned the media) be able to see the media and start playing, but I wouldn't hear anything because of lack of cable to sound card? Instead it just days "ejected". Any comments?

Linux Guru
    In deed, that is what should happen. What CD player (software) do you use? Are you sure it not just only using the primary CD player, which is apparently unable to read burned discs?

Just Joined!

More Q&A

I spent the weekend trying to get this bloody thing working. What I found out is KDE does not seem to recognize disk formats when trying to mount. I have many data CDs and music CDs that were burned with Roxio's easy CD writing software that do not seem to be recognized by the KDE desktop. Also, when I put a commercially pressed music CD in the drive and click on the drive on the desktop, it comes back with an unmountable message. But, when I open up a CD player and configure the software to read from the CDROM it plays the music, no problem. I also have CDs that were burned in the packet writing format UDF that are unreadable when I try to mount from the KDE desktop, but mount O.K. if I use the mount command: mount -t udf /dev/sr1 /mnt in the shell. Actually this works on some CD-RW but not on others.

Is there a patch or script that would allow me to use the KDE desktop to mount CD-R & CD-RW media and launch the correct application? If there is please point me in the right direction. I am a real newbie that has difficulty using the shell commands. is there any easy way to configure this?