Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Sorry if I don't include enough information or am asking a really silly question. I use a computer at work that has both a windows and Linux partition. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

accessing windows from linux

Hi,

Sorry if I don't include enough information or am asking a really silly question.

I use a computer at work that has both a windows and Linux partition. I use Windows for word processing, spreadsheet stuff, etc. and Linux for matlab and related data analysis software. Anyways, I was wondering i there was an app that would allow me to access the data in the windows partition while I keep working in Linux (i.e. I want to open a window to the windows partition), as most of the data analysis things I have to do take a little while and sometimes I need to access or send files from the Windows partition.

Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Paul

Just Joined!
    actualy if these are both the same computer then your windows partition should readily avalible. its generaly mounted as /windows or /mnt/windows it just depends on how you defined it in your install or if you let the installer do its thing and automatically setup the partitioning. anyways its in there you just need to find it with whatever file manager you prefer.

Just Joined!
    you can decide where to mount your windows partitions in the /etc/fstab file. open /etc/fstab in a word proccessor and edit it as you like. format of the is something like this

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winc auto, defaults 0 0

/dev/hda* (or hdb or what you have) points to the partition
    /mnt/winc (or something like that) is the mount point. set it where you like