Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for Linux-Windows cross-platform PIM

I do development on Windows and have been moving more to Linux to do development there. Under Windows for many years I have used Starfish's Sidekick 98 as a PIM, giving me a calendar, address book, and notes options. I can export the address book and notes portions to CSV file formats from Sidekick 98.

I am now looking to get off Sidekick 98 in order to use a cross-platform Linux-Windows PIM application where I can share my calendar, address, and noted information on a common directory of a FAT32 drive.

I have searched for such a cross-platform PIM but the few I have found seem inadequate, and a few others appear to have stopped development in the past.

My needs are a program that runs under Linux and Windows, is able to share data, allows for me to import my data from Sidekick 98 through CSV files ( I realize some massaging of the data may be necessary ) and has an interface which, like Sidekick 98, allows viusal folders of data for addresses and notes.

Among those I have tried are:

1) Aethera: which has no functionality to import notes, and little to import addresses, as well as no way to share data which I could see.

2) SqlDesktop: looked good but was broken as far as the tutorial and help goes right off the bat. Appears to have no way to share data.

Among others I have looked at are:

1) Evolution: it's Windows port seems a long time ago and far away and not necessarily in sync with Evolution on Linux.

2) Pi-Sync: Development of this appears to have stopped a long time ago.

3) Chandler: Not ready for prime time yet.

Is there really no easy to use cross-platform Linux-Windows PIM which offers calendar, address book, and notes shared data, with adequate import features and ease of use ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if either will meet your needs, but Treepad and Winzig are both cross-platform personal information managers.

Mozilla Sunbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

Does that work for you?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Only a calendar

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Mozilla Sunbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

Does that work for you?

Bryan
    Sunbird is only a calendar program. I am looking for a combination of calendar, address book, and notes, ala Sidekick 98.

PIM cross-plarform

Quote Originally Posted by Marsolin
    I'm not sure if either will meet your needs, but Treepad and Winzig are both cross-platform personal information managers.
    Thanks, I will check them out. I had heard of Treepad but thought it did not run natively under Linux. I had not heard of Winzig before. Hopefully one of them will meet my needs.

Try running sidekick on Wine.

Treepad and WinZig

WinZig is way too limited.

Treepad has possibilities but its comma delimited file import is broken unfortunately, since it does not recognize quotes ( " ) as delimiting a field with an embedded comma. Also the latest Linux version is 4 years old, so it does not seem it has been updated in a long time. Still I am going to try to use it in order to keep my notes and addresses in a tree structure. It is really no PIM, just an adequate tree-structured data organizer.

I just realized that Kontact wasn't listed among those you have tried. Have you ever looked at it before?

Kontact on Windows ?

I just realized that Kontact wasn't listed among those you have tried. Have you ever looked at it before?
    I see nothing which says Kontact runs on Windows. Does it even run under Gnome ? It appears to be purely a KDE application, as http://kontact.kde.org/ tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by eldiener
    I see nothing which says Kontact runs on Windows. Does it even run under Gnome ? It appears to be purely a KDE application, as http://kontact.kde.org/ tells me.
    You're right. When I looked back at the thread today I forgot you were looking for a cross platform solution.