Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Dou you have Flash player installed on your Linux box?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

3 20.00%
  • Yes, but it crashes...

2 13.33%
  • No, but I will

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I have a little problem that havent be able to find a solution. I downloaded and installed Flash player 6 for Linux. When I loaded a Flash animation in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opera Linux crashes with Flash

Hello, I have a little problem that havent be able to find a solution. I downloaded and installed Flash player 6 for Linux. When I loaded a Flash animation in Opera (7.23 spanish), the browser hanged. I tested with other pages, same problem; I tested if Mozilla had problems, but this one runs Flash very well. I searched the net and several forums, with no results.

My config: Debian Linux 3.0 r2 - Opera 7.23 spanish - Flash player 6 for Linux
    PII400Mhz -128MB Ram

Thanks!

PS:By the way, I dont like Mozilla, so to use it instead of Opera, is not an option.

I've had problems with flash and mozilla (Phoenix, Firebird and Firefox, too). I think that the flash plug in is/might be buggy, and thus there isn't much more than to hope it will work. :/
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Engineer
    I used to have flash installed but i removed it soon after instalaion even though it worked fine.. it just made the internet a much more annoying place. All of a sudden all those websites that i block images from have got flash plasterd all over.. My reccomendation is to avoid installing flash and to avoid useing it on any websites you create.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    My reccomendation is to avoid installing flash and to avoid useing it on any websites you create.
    I am 100% with you, but there are sites that unfortunately uses Flash so extensively that it is impossible even to enter without it, and there are some not only interesting sites with Flash, but some that I need to use (the government of my country LOVES Flash, so its sites...); and some of my clients ask me for Flash in their sites, so I am hand tied.

I dont think the Flash plugin is broken, because it works on Mozilla (for me at least). Thanks for the comments, and I welcome more advice.

Just Joined!

Re: Opera Linux crashes with Flash

Quote Originally Posted by alvaro
    Hello, I have a little problem that havent be able to find a solution. I downloaded and installed Flash player 6 for Linux. When I loaded a Flash animation in Opera (7.23 spanish), the browser hanged. I tested with other pages, same problem; I tested if Mozilla had problems, but this one runs Flash very well. I searched the net and several forums, with no results.

My config: Debian Linux 3.0 r2 - Opera 7.23 spanish - Flash player 6 for Linux
    PII400Mhz -128MB Ram

Thanks!

PS:By the way, I dont like Mozilla, so to use it instead of Opera, is not an option.
    hello,
    i have exactly the same problem! opera just crashes when i try to run flash animations. But works fine with mozilla. I use Opera 7.23 eng and Flash player 6, Debian.

please doese anyone knows how to fix this?

Linux Newbie
    I installed flash for Mozilla and Opera. Mozilla can run flash without problems, but Opera won't even play flash files. Opera detects the flash plugins, but they just don't work. Dunno why.

Just Joined!
    I dont wanna be unrespectful, but can anyone stop to post "me too" replies? I am looking for an answer to this proble or a lead to a solution, not moral support knowing I am not alone. I already wrote in my first post the problem in detail, the issues with Opera and not Mozilla, etc.

Please post when you have something valuable to share; I know the "me too" replies can help to call attention on some gurus that might have the answer, but one or two of those posts I think is enough to make the point.

I have flash installed with firefox and it works great for strongbad (the only reason to have flash).

BUT with opera, it just didn't work. It didn't crash, though...just never acted like it was there.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Make sure you have all required libraries installed. Go to /usr/lib/opera/plugins and type ldd libflashplayer.so and ldd operamotifwrapper-2 to see what libraries are missing. On my debian system i missed libXm.so.2 file, installing libmotif library (apt-get install libmotif) solved the problem.

Just Joined!
    Well, if i remember correctly, I had a problem with it on MDK 10 (RC1) because of some type of bug that it had. Sadly I forget what the fix was, plus you're using Debian, so that would be irrelivent now anyways. The only real idea's I can recommend are to make sure the libraries are in the correct places, and that Opera is aimed towards those correct directories. In cases I've found, Opera would not be looking in the right places for it and had trouble working at all.

I doubt this will solve your problem, and is probably a bug, but maybe you can update Opera? They do have 7.5 now I believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast