Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to fomatting software to format a NTFS partition into ext3, i have the ntfs-g3 driver so the disk is mounted but i would now like to format ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Formatting software

Hi,

I need to fomatting software to format a NTFS partition into ext3, i have the ntfs-g3 driver so the disk is mounted but i would now like to format it as i am moving away from windows (i am dual booting atm).

Ive looking in package manager but i am still unsure what to use, some guideance would be helpfuL!

Unfortunately i still use windows for MCE and games but im looking into that as i speak.

Im running ubuntu, edgy

Thanks!!

Don't worry aboutmounting it, in fact quite the opposite the drive should not be mounted when you format it. I haven't got my Ubuntu box at hand, but I don't think it's bundled with partitioning software other than fdisk/cfdisk and they can be very daunting. You could install gparted through Synaptic or if you want to boot from another distro the Gparted Live CD is only 30MiB. It will let you do all of the work from the live environment if you don't want to install anything in Ubuntu or Windows.

Just Joined!
    I booted with the live ubuntu cd and formatted in gparted, but now how do i mount the drive again?

Thanks!

I booted with the live ubuntu cd and formatted in gparted, but now how do i mount the drive again?
    create mount point and execute 'mount' command to mount it manually.
    Code:
    mount -t ext3  /dev/<partition>   <mount_point>

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First