Results 1 to 1 of 1
Hi Everyone, In the process of getting apps working on my laptop, I've install RoadNav and looks to be promising...although it cannot detect my gpsd... Here is what I did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 12-20-2006 #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2006
Roadnav - not seeing gpsd...
In the process of getting apps working on my laptop, I've install RoadNav and looks to be promising...although it cannot detect my gpsd...
Here is what I did last night (running from memory)
Running Fedora Core 6...
1) Determined that the Delorme Earthmate is detected...."dmesg | grep USB" - see that it was connected to "/dev/ttyUSB0" or "/dev/ttyUSB1".
2) Started up gpsd with "gpsd -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -n" or could have been "gpsd -f /dev/ttyUSB0" (Note this was done as root)
3) To test it, I did "cat /dev/ttyUSB0" and it came back with information from the gps - cool.
4) I started up RoadNav as my normal user, not at root. It was unable to detect gpsd at all.
5) I thought perhaps it wanted to be outdoors to see the satellites, so on the coat went and went outside.
6) Interesting, when I started gpsd it went from Red blinking, to Yellow, to Green, which means in XP program that it had enough satellites to know 3D wise of where it is…
7) Same results – RoadNav was unable to see it.
Rebooted the computer just in case and start fresh.
9) Did step 1, 2, 3 and then 4 – same results…
Be nice to have this working…although I’d be willing to try another app too…as long it works with this Earthmate.