Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install a small calculator (qalculate) in my Mandrake 10.2 OS. The installation is going into a '/usr-like' subdirectory that I have in my ~/. When doing <./configure> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

install XML/Parser...expat -- where?

I'm trying to install a small calculator (qalculate) in my Mandrake 10.2 OS. The installation is going into a '/usr-like' subdirectory that I have in my ~/. When doing <./configure> I'm given an error that (on its' face) says "...error:XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool". That lead to a (Google) exchange of ideas that informed me to add a line to the 'configure' file, and that the problem was not really with XML/Parser, which does exist on my harddrive (@ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/XML).

So...I got a copy of 'expat-2.0.0.tar.gz', (apparently this is the real culprit) installed it in my <pseudo>/usr directory (within ~/), and configured it there, then tried to run the ./configure again for my desired app (qalculate). Same error.

My next thought, then is to cp 'expat-2.0.0.tar.gz somewhere into the /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl tree, and unwrap/make it over there. My question is...exactly where should I install? In the same directory as XML? I started to do so, but I don't know the implications, or the can-of-worms I could be unleashing. I'm afraid if I do it wrong, I could do an unholy amount of damage.

So...thoughts from a wiser head, please?

Wow

Sure was overwhelmed by the outpouring of comments and advice.